The selected word "or" appears 59 times in the following 21 texts (sorted by results):
- [Imitated] From Propertius. Lib: 2: Eleg: 1. (11 results)
8 Or lawless o'er their ivory margin stray;
13 Or if to music she the lyre awake,
27 In brief, whate'er she do, or say, or look,
37 Nor tale of Thebes or Ilium there should be,
38 Or how the Persian trod the indignant sea;
69 Or if, alas! it be my fate to try
77 Or if I fall the victim of her scorn,
90 Or drive the infernal vulture from his prey.
92 Or who can probe the undiscovered wound?
93 The bed avails not or the leech's care,
- Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard (10 results)
19 The cock's shrill clarion, or the echoing horn,
22 Or busy housewife ply her evening care:
24 Or climb his knees the envied kiss to share.
41 Can storied urn or animated bust
44 Or Flattery soothe the dull cold ear of Death?
48 Or waked to ecstasy the living lyre.
71 Or heap the shrine of Luxury and Pride
108 'Or crazed with care, or crossed in hopeless love.
126 Or draw his frailties from their dread abode,
- The Characters of the Christ-Cross Row, By a Critic, To Mrs — (5 results)
36 And now a player, a peer, a pimp or priest,
39 Like perch or pike in pond you see him come;
40 He in plantations hangs like pear or plum,
41 Pippin or peach, then perches on the spray,
42 In form of parrot, pye or popinjay.
- Agrippina, a Tragedy (4 results)
19 To taste of hollow kindness, or partake
39 To fame or fortune; haply eyed at distance
119 My great revenge shall rise; or say we sound
194 Whether she feared or wished to be pursued.
- Imitated from Propertius, Lib: 3: Eleg: 5: (4 results)
9 Or roused by sprightly sounds from out the trance,
30 Their wintry war or pour the autumnal rain;
49 All angry heaven inflicts or hell can feel,
52 Or are our fears the enthusiast's empty dream,
- A Long Story (4 results)
68 Or creased, like dogs-ears, in a folio.
104 Or at the chapel-door stand sentry;
124 'Or any malice to the poultry,)
125 'He once or twice had penned a sonnet;
- Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College (3 results)
30 Or urge the flying ball?
65 Or pining Love shall waste their youth,
66 Or Jealousy with rankling tooth,
- [Translation from Dante, Inferno Canto xxxiii 1-78] (3 results)
46 Or thou dost mourn to think what my poor heart
57 What would you have?' Yet wept I not or answered
58 All that whole day or the succeeding night,
- [Lines Spoken by the Ghost of John Dennis at the Devil Tavern] (2 results)
36 More to reveal, or many words to use,
40 Or Cleopatra to her Mark Antony,
- The Progress of Poesy. A Pindaric Ode (2 results)
69 Or where Maeander's amber waves
94 Or ope the sacred source of sympathetic tears.'
- [The Alliance of Education and Government. A Fragment] (1 result)
106 Or on frail floats to distant cities ride,
- The Bard. A Pindaric Ode (1 result)
28 'To high-born Hoel's harp, or soft Llewellyn's lay.
- [Caradoc] (1 result)
2 Or the bull, with sullen roar,
- [The Death of Hoel] (1 result)
18 Or the grape's ecstatic juice.
- [Ode on the Pleasure Arising from Vicissitude] (1 result)
30 Or deepest shades, that dimly lower
- Ode on the Spring (1 result)
39 Or chilled by age, their airy dance
- [Sketch of his Own Character] (1 result)
5 A post or a pension he did not desire,
- Sonnet [on the Death of Mr Richard West] (1 result)
4 Or cheerful fields resume their green attire:
- Stanzas to Mr Bentley (1 result)
19 That burns in Shakespeare's or in Milton's page,
- [Translation from Statius, Thebaid IX 319-26] (1 result)
15 Or cuts the downward stream with equal force,
- [Translation] From Tasso [Gerusalemme Liberata] Canto 14, Stanza 32-9. (1 result)
54 Floats into lakes or bubbles into rills.