The following 15 texts (sorted by results) match your query "were" (25 results):
- The Fatal Sisters. An Ode (5 results)
P Dublin: the Earl and all his forces were cut to pieces, and
P women: they were all employed about a loom; and as they wove,
P Note — The Valkyriur were female Divinities, Servants of Odin
P They were mounted on swift horses, with drawn swords in their hands; and in the throng
P of battle selected such as were destined to slaughter, and conducted them to Valhalla,
- The Bard. A Pindaric Ode (4 results)
9 Such were the sounds, that o'er the crested pride
69 "The swarm that in thy noon-tide beam were born?
P They both were Lords-Marchers, whose lands lay on the borders of Wales,
P the rocks of Snowdon, which from thence (as some think) were named by the Welch
- Agrippina, a Tragedy (3 results)
P and brings Nero, as it were by chance, to the sight of the
80 These were your gift, and with them you bestowed
132 As there were magic in it? Wrinkled beldams
- [Lines Spoken by the Ghost of John Dennis at the Devil Tavern] (2 results)
46 Plays, which were hissed above, below revive,
47 When dead applauded that were damned alive.
- [The Alliance of Education and Government. A Fragment] (1 result)
49 Their arms, their kings, their gods were rolled away.
- The Candidate (1 result)
29 To refuse him for such peccadillos were odd;
- The Descent of Odin. An Ode (1 result)
P to which were devoted all such as died of sickness, old-age, or by any other means
- [Epitaph on a Child] (1 result)
5 Few were the days allotted to his breath;
- [Epitaph on Mrs Clerke] (1 result)
6 And soft humanity were there.
- [Imitated] From Propertius. Lib: 2: Eleg: 1. (1 result)
107 Love and the fair were of his life the pride;
- A Long Story (1 result)
96 'Gainst four such eyes were no protection.
- Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Gold Fishes (1 result)
14 Two angel forms were seen to glide,
- [Translation from Dante, Inferno Canto xxxiii 1-78] (1 result)
42 My children (they were with me) sleep as yet
- [Translation from Statius, Thebaid VI 646-88, 704-24] (1 result)
34 All eyes were bent on his experienced hand,
- [Translation] From Tasso [Gerusalemme Liberata] Canto 14, Stanza 32-9. (1 result)
6 Scarce the hoarse waves from far were heard to roar,