The selected word "were" appears 16 times in the following 13 texts (sorted by titles):
- Agrippina, a Tragedy (2 results)
80 These were your gift, and with them you bestowed
132 As there were magic in it? Wrinkled beldams
- [The Alliance of Education and Government. A Fragment] (1 result)
49 Their arms, their kings, their gods were rolled away.
- The Bard. A Pindaric Ode (2 results)
9 Such were the sounds, that o'er the crested pride
69 "The swarm that in thy noon-tide beam were born?
- The Candidate (1 result)
29 To refuse him for such peccadillos were odd;
- [Epitaph on a Child] (1 result)
5 Few were the days allotted to his breath;
- [Epitaph on Mrs Clerke] (1 result)
6 And soft humanity were there.
- [Imitated] From Propertius. Lib: 2: Eleg: 1. (1 result)
107 Love and the fair were of his life the pride;
- [Lines Spoken by the Ghost of John Dennis at the Devil Tavern] (2 results)
46 Plays, which were hissed above, below revive,
47 When dead applauded that were damned alive.
- A Long Story (1 result)
96 'Gainst four such eyes were no protection.
- Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Gold Fishes (1 result)
14 Two angel forms were seen to glide,
- [Translation from Dante, Inferno Canto xxxiii 1-78] (1 result)
42 My children (they were with me) sleep as yet
- [Translation from Statius, Thebaid VI 646-88, 704-24] (1 result)
34 All eyes were bent on his experienced hand,
- [Translation] From Tasso [Gerusalemme Liberata] Canto 14, Stanza 32-9. (1 result)
6 Scarce the hoarse waves from far were heard to roar,